Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Knights of Gallipoli

On April 25th, 1915 the Australians and New Zelanders joined together to attack the Turkish peninsula of Gallipoli. They landed in the dark hours before dawn and fought the Turks for 8 long months. The ANZACs lost over 8,000 men and were withdrawn in December due to a stale mate. The soldiers had to fight for every meter of land gained and dug deep trenches and tunnels for sleeping, headquarters and even a first aid station. First year Australian soldiers are still referred to "diggers" in honor of their fearless predecessors. News of the landing at Gallipoli quickly made its way back to Australia and is remembered every year in honor of the sacrifice of those who had died in war. ANZAC Day also marks the emergence of a young newly-federated nation at the world stage with courage, endurance and initiative.
Australian military codes allow for the family members of veterans to wear their medals on the right side lapel. Family members are encouraged to attend memorials and parades with veterans or in place of them during ANZAC Day. The veterans wear their own medals on the left side of business suits that day. Many wear their own medals with the medals of their family members...showing generations of pride and dedication to their country.
This was the most amazing display of support and patriotism that I have EVER seen. I have been blessed to be married to an American soldier and to be in the family of many veterans and US service members. I wish I could transfer the electricity of this day with everyone and share with you all its emotion. A picture may say a thousand words, but for this day, it is not enough. The day began at 0300 for the Fast family and we did not stop until 9pm that night. I felt such impact from the experience that I found myself at a loss for words when trying to describe it. I pray you all enjoy the pictures and my attempt to share the most touching display for a countries veterans that I have EVER seen!

No comments: