Robert and I had the honor of attending the Grand Opening of Kokoda Barracks brand new Mess facilities and to join in the "farewells" of several of Australia's best soldiers. The evening began with an hour of mingling with some of the kindest people I have ever met. Then we had a multiple course dinner that was ended with ceremonial toasts to the Queen, to the President of the United States (led by Robert) and to the Defence Force of Australia. THen, our fine soldiers led a toast to their spouses, to thank us for our support and making their jobs possible.It was a beautiful room, with hardwood floors and long formal tables. The entire meal was lit by candlelight alone. Several speeches were given in honor of those retiring and all of the acheivements in their careers. The soldiers stood and spoke of thanks and appreciation to their spouses, their children and their "mates" in the mess.
The evening ended in group games and more mingling among platters of tropical fruit and local cheeses. We ate, drank and were merry until around 3 am....and of course, we danced a little because I could:) Enjoy the pictures and I hope this shares the honorable experience with you all.
1 comment:
you DO look really cute!!! :) I am glad you had such an awesome evening. Have a great day. I look forward to future updates. :)
Post a Comment