We did it! We pulled off Thanksgiving in our new home and shared it with dear friends. There were moments that I did not think it would happen....here is my story:As we began to discuss our plans for Thanksgiving, it was a reality that we would be staying in Australia this year..and not visiting home. I discovered that there were many foods that are traditional for me at Thanksgiving, and were NOT available here in Oz. The task seemed daunting and sad. I am away from the largest, most wonderful family in existance and I have NEVER spent a holiday season away from them. I began to feel homesick and really feel the thousands of miles of distance from home. It really began to weigh on me, honestly.
Then I decided that as an Army wife, it was my job to make things happen for my family no matter where I am or what obstacles present themselves. I have cooked an entire 10lb pumpkin just to make 2 traditional pies, I special ordered 2- 20 lbs turkeys just to have plenty of left-overs, Me and Danielle created a dressing from scratch using 2 loaves of fresh bread and then had to used a barbque grill to cook food because of a VERY SMALL OVEN! I was determined to make it happen, no matter what!
As the days went past, and I began the preparation for our huge dinner, things began to change. I welcomed a Canadian couple into our home, to give them a "touch of home" by including them in our dinner. We welcomed friends from Australia, whom do not celebrate Thanksgiving, and we wanted to share our traditions and warmth.
This was the greatest lesson for me so far. It was shamefully the first Thanksgiving that I began in low spirits and ended it on top of the world. I realized that I have so many things to give Thanks for, so many wonderful experiences to be greatful for. My husband was by my side, and not involved in a war....my son is happy, healthy, and enjoying Australia....we have new friends from all over the world and we all shared something beautiful and wonderful with them. I looked across my table at the new faces in my life this year and considered what a blessing they have all been to me. This year I have married the love of my life, my family is together, my friends are close and supportive...we have had exciting adventures and have more to come. I found so many things to be thankful for that I forgot all about missing the corn bread and collard greens.
I love you all, my friends and family from home. No one could ever take your places in our lives and hearts. We miss you everyday. Now, we just have more wonderful people to add to that list of Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to All and Happy Holidays, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment