Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"God is never late".....my Mother told me.

I texted my Mom when we were stuck on the runway in an airplane in Washington, D.C. and told her that we were going to miss our next flight. She texted me back "God is never late". I read it, took a deep breath and filed it away with all of the other words of wisdom she has given me. An hour and a half later, the plane was FINALLY airborne and we were crossing the country. Here is where the story takes a few twists.....
When we finally got to Los Angeles, we were frustrated, hungry and tired. Robert and I decided to upgrade our economy seats because we were so miserable already and neither of us could face 14 1/2 hours in another plane. The ticket agent gave us the price tag on upgraded seats but also offered to buy our tickets, put us up in a hotel, buy dinner and give us upgraded tickets if we would go on the flight 24 hours later. The answer was a resounding "YES!!" and we rested up in LA for the night.
The next night, we spent some time in the "First Class Lounge" (see Holton pictured above) before boarding our flight to Australia. First class tickets, rested and a recliner to endure the 14 1/2 hour flight, at NO EXTRA COST to us........YEP, God is NEVER late!
Halfway through the flight, the flight attendants called for any medical professional to please help a sick passenger. Holton was shaking me and telling me that someone needed my help. I jumped up and ran down the aisle to the poor, young girl that was doubled over with belly pain. There was a doctor too and we both checked her out and tried to help. After some ibuprophen, a hot water bottle and serious discussion, we decided to keep a close eye on her and keep flying to Australia. There just happened to be an empty seat next to me, in First Class. I asked that she be moved there so that I could take care of her for the remaining 4 hours of flight.
I made sure she was comfortable, checked her blood pressure and assured her that I was here for her and planned to take care of her for the rest of our flight. She was so scared but very appreciative. The flight attendants were appreciative too. Then, I realized.......if we hadn't changed our tickets, I would not have been here to care for her. I thought I had realized God's plan for all these changes. God is Never late!
Hours after we deboarded the plane, passed through immigration and customs, walked to the other side of the airport and then boarded one, of many buses, to get to the Domestic airport.....the young girl was helped onto our bus by a security agent. Robert helped with her bags and assured the security agent that we would be glad to take care of her.
As we approached our stop, she doubled over again! This time she was in so much pain that she cried and cried. We helped her off the bus and I ran inside to call an ambulance. She was scheduled to leave on the same airline that we were, strange that we were all here together. I held her while she cried and we waited for the ambulance. The manager from our airline and the manager of the airport rushed outside to wait with us. Robert and Holton went inside to check in with all of our luggage.
I said a prayer for her when the EMT workers arrived. I went back to my family at the ticket counter. Robert was under a great deal of stress. Apparently, this airline did not allow more than one bag, weighing under 40 pounds, per person. We had 6 bags that weighed 60 pounds each! We were in trouble! Robert tried everything he could to convince the ticket agent to allow us to travel with our luggage and it was not working. The agent said that he would ask his manager, but to be prepared to pay to check our luggage! I walked behind the agent as he went to his manager, the same manager that had just thanked me for caring for the young, sick girl.
As she turned around to answer the agent, I said,"Hi....its my family and our luggage that he is talking to you about" She smiled and said "don't charge them a thing, let them travel".

I walked up to my husband and told him the good news......and I also told him, "God is NEVER late!" I couldn't wait to call my Mother and tell her that she was so very right!!!!

No comments: